Monday, July 15, 2013

My Story's Love List

Katy Upperman and I are sharing our WiP love lists today! What's that, you ask?

When Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss) begins a new project, she generates a “What I Love about This Story” list—sometimes short, sometimes long –and she uses this “love-list as a touchstone to remind myself during the hard times why my story is worthwhile.” Also, by taking note of the things she loves, she has a guide during the revision process to build those things up.

Amazing idea, right?! I wrote a love list for my last story (you can check it out here) and I've generated  one for my new story as well. I'm just shy of the midpoint, so I'm certain I'll add a few things, scratch off a few others, but here’s what I currently love, love, love about my WiP:

Grease
 
baseball

sunshitty yellow 

Yoda
 
cast lists 

perfection 

swirlies 

twins

dugout sexcapades 

softball pants 

rekindling lost love 

musical theatre 

"Dude Looks Like a Lady" 
      (and other wicked Aerosmith songs)

cheesy Star Wars one-liners 

           vengeful makeovers
            longing

freak accidents

almost kisses 
 
Spanish vocab lists that scream eso es lo que ha dicho
 
scandal 

flamboyant BFFs 

asthma 

unrequited adoration 

Skoal
 
mistaken identity

boorish brothers 

supercilious sisters 

leather jackets 

sibling rivalry 

karma fairies 

swearsies 

stepping up to the plate 

ratting hair 

tight ends with, um . . . tight ends

Guns N Roses, Billy Squier, Van Halen
     (and everything rock and roll)

 Pixar inspiration

 sibling driving lessons

band tees

redemption
 
 sibling love
 
 
Do you have a love list for your WiP? If you post it, share your link in the comments. I'll definitely check it out!
 

22 comments:

  1. tight ends with, um . . . tight ends
    --> that cracked me up.
    I want to know what happens and I want to read this :D
    Sibling driving lessons? Rekindling lost love? Grease?
    YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks, Elodie! And Grease is definitely the word for this WiP. And I'm LOVING that!

      Delete
  2. I love love lists. I made one for my last story, but I haven't done it yet for this one. Maybe after the first draft is done.

    I love the sound of your WIP, things that jumped out and intrigued me - yoda, vengeful makeovers, band t-shirts, karma faries and Pixar inspiration. Plus I love twin books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about holding off until I finished, but I think it's going to help me get through the middle, keep me inspired.

      Hehe - vengeful makeovers. That's a keeper!

      Delete
  3. "sunshitty yellow" has got me curious!

    I'm not too far into my WIP yet, but I definitely want to make one of these lists. Maybe it'll give me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many times I looked at my love list for my last story. And it was very inspirational. So do one! I'm curious to see what's on yours!

      Delete
  4. Great list, Alison! My favourite has to be "cheesy Star Wars one-liners." Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have to be careful I don't overuse them (so tempting), but you can bet there's a jedi-mind trick in there. :)

      Delete
  5. "Vengeful makeovers" got my interest! Great list, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And ha - the vengeful makeover was fun to write.

      Delete
  6. Tight ends with tight ends... Love! Also, Yoda, unrequited adoration, band tees, and karma fairies all have me crazy-excited to read this story one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully sooner than later, friend! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. This is such a fun Love List, Alison! Wouldn't it be SO much easier if instead of query letters we could just submit Love Lists instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh - I KNOW! I think my love lists are way more intriguing than my query letters!

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of this idea, but it feels like the heavens have just opened up. ;) I'm in the middle of rewrites, and a love list sounds like just what I need. Also, the fact that Yoda is on your love list just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is heaven for revisions! I constantly looked at mine for inspiration for my last story! You should do one!

      Delete
  9. Haha at dugout sexcapades. :) I love the idea of love lists! I totally want to read your MS. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll share one for yours!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea. I think I'll borrow it. :)

    I love Erin's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I love this! Your Love List is fantastic and it makes me want to read this story even more. My favorites are sunshitty yellow, karma fairies, and vengeful makeovers (I really want to know what happened in that scene).

    I posted the Love List for my wip yesterday: http://raven-ashley.blogspot.com/2013/07/love-list.html?showComment=1373995683957#c6127364222759228795

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your love list! Definitely see some baseball and football in there. Jocks. Nice. And Star Wars references! Nerdy jocks! Even better!
    Here's my love list: http://krisatkinswrites.com/2012/08/22/rtw-wuv-twoo-wuv/
    Although, I need to update it because all sorts of delicious changes have been happening in the last year and I have lots more to add. Oh goodness, I love my book. Yay for love lists! They're ... lovely. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alison! The photo you used in this blog is incredible! I have also featured it in my most recent blog post. You can check it out here:
    http://livethequestions.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!