Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


 

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up. Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk are the hosts, and we'd love for you to join in the fun! Just hit up their blogs and sign up on the linky. J

What I'm Reading:  Beta reading some awesome stories. The one I'm currently reading is amazing and all kinds of HILARIOUS! The perfect antidote to the past two sad weeks. 
What I'm Writing:  Finishing up front-end-editing on my new story and getting myself geared up for

 
Don't know what I'm talking about? Check it all out here. J

I can't wait to do some serious writing!

What Inspires Me Right Now: The incredible response to the summer writing intensive Ready. Set. WRITE! Guys—I am SO excited for this and so glad you're joining Katy, Jaime, Elodie, Erin, and me on our summer of writing! 
What Else I've Been Up To: Yesterday was my last full day of teaching. Exams run today through Monday, but as far as teaching logarithms and the quadratic formula—well, those days are DONE. For those of you just tuning in—this is my last year of teaching. Next year I am going to focus on writing, tutoring, and, most importantly, my family. I'm super excited (well, not about the lack of paycheck), but I will definitely miss my colleagues and my students (and ya know— the paycheck).
 Yesterday one of my students brought me this cake

 
 

and unlike the cake, the whole day was a little bittersweet. But guys—I'm READY and very excited for what next year has to bring.

What's up on YOUR Wednesday?

21 comments:

  1. Omg, isn't that the sweetest thing? I bet the cake was very sweet too ;)
    I'm glad you're feeling a little better about the recent events *hugs*
    Yay for a great participation on the Ready. Set. Write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the changes for the next year! It sounds like you are investing in what's most important for you and your family, and that's an awesome thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that a student brought you a cake! I'm so excited for you that you get to take some time to do other things you love now. Looking forward to Ready. Set. WRITE! especially after the great response to it. I fully anticipate a lot of cheering and a lot of getting stuff done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo for summer break! And I can't wait for Ready.Set.Write, it is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on starting a new adventure by tutoring/writing/etc. Love the cake, and looking forward to hearing all about your new start. And happy summer break too, woo hoo!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sweet your student brought you a cake! Good luck on this exciting step in your life. :) And yay! Ready. Set. Write. Everyone's been blogging about it and I'm getting so excited to start, I love the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about you this week, Alison. I'm sure this new adventure will bring lots of joy and excitement. I can imagine leaving would feel quite bittersweet. I'm sure you'll stay connected to the school community and the students. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I'm sure your students are really going to miss you! But I'm excited for you to have more writing and family time! Can't wait for Ready. Set. Write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an achievement your last day brings, Alison! But how amazing to be able to embark on a new adventure in your life - especially one that brings so much passion!

    Sure, living without a consistent paycheck will take some getting use to...but to know you're doing what you're finally meant to be doing. Well, that's priceless in my book.

    Best of luck over the next few days as you wrap everything up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, how sweet is it that you were given a cake?! Your students are going to miss you so much.

    I'm thrilled about the response to Ready. Set. Write! Thank you so much for including me in its awesomeness. Can't wait for a summer of climbing word counts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely thing for your student to give you ^_^ It must be such a huge step for you, but change is so often the perfect thing in life. Best of luck to you! And have fun with Ready. Set. WRITE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! That cake is too cute! And your students will surely miss you but while it may be bittersweet, I´m so excited you´re going to have more time for you and your family!
    <3

    Thanks again for Ready. Set. Write! So much looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweetie to bring you cake. Sounds like next year will be a big change, but a good one!

    I'm so excited for Ready, Set, WRITE! thanks for organising it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to do some serious writing either! And I'm so looking forward to cheering everyone else on :)

    Wishing you the best of luck in your non-teaching adventures--I'm sure wonderful things will be coming your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake is so sweet! I think I would've cried all over the icing. Hope you enjoy your last days of teaching! Can't wait to get going on Ready. Set. Write!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you that you'll have more time to write now that you're done teaching! I'm sure you'll miss it - but what a wonderful opportunity! Best of luck.

    And brilliant idea on the Ready. Set. Write! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, your students sound so sweet! I can see how you'll miss them but I'm jealous of all the writing time you'll have!

    Super excited for Ready. Set. WRITE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cake almost made me cry, so I can't imagine how you must have reacted to it! Kids are the best.

    Good luck on your new adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thankful that you still added tutoring in your future plans. I can feel that you really love your students. I hope you continue to share your knowledge to the future generations and inspire them to do well in their academics.

    C2Educate.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s been almost a year. Are you still teaching or were you able to achieve your plans on writing and tutoring at the same time? Are you giving up teaching or this is just sabbatical? Whichever it is, I wish you luck on your chosen venture! Sarah @ GradePower Learning

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!